Friday, February 8, 2013

Bonne Bell Eyeshadow Box in "Prom Queen" Review and Swatches

Picture courtesy of http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonne-Bell-Eye-Shadow-Box-640-Prom-Queen-/120966016691
Some Background: 
Bonne Bell is a brand that has been around for quite some time now. Their products can be found in most drugstores and grocery stores. I will be reviewing and swatching their Eyeshadow Box in "640 Prom Queen." This product comes in many other color combinations that can be found on Bonne Bell Cosmetics' website.

The Product:
This eyeshadow quad comes with four complementing colors and two small eyeshadow applicators. The packaging is nice and convenient because it is smaller and made of plastic, so you don't have to worry about breaking it. A mirror is not included but that does allow the product to be more compact. The box is about 2.75" by 1.75."

Inside the quad. I've removed my applicators that were in the bottom section

How it's Supposed to Work:
The website says that this product is good for "contouring and defining." It also claims that the shadows can be applied wet as an eye liner. The lighter shades can be used as a highlight while the darker shades should be applied to your lids. 

Swatches without flash
Swatches with flash
How it Really Works:
I don't know what the website means when it says these colors can be used as eye liners because I don't think that is possible. The colors are nice, but not extremely pigmented and therefore would not fair well as eye liners. I've found that this product is great to create light, everyday looks that are easy and quick. I can always count on this if I'm running late because you don't have to reach for multiple products and search to find complementing colors--they're all in one place. Like I said, the colors don't go on very dark which makes them perfect for a light, natural look that can be worn to work or school. Maybe some of the darker color quads are more pigmented such as the "Urban Blues" or "Cafe Classics." I haven't tried the other shades so let me know what you think if you have!
The colors are pretty silky as opposed to chalky. There is little to no fallout when applying the colors and they are pretty true to color. I'm pretty sure I've dropped this thing a million times and thrown it in my makeup box or bag, and the shadows have never broken or cracked. 
The shadows will stay on for a considerable amount of time. Don't expect them to stay all day though, so I suggest taking this product with you. 

The Bottom Line--Price:
These run for around $4 and you can find them for less depending on where you shop. You're paying about a dollar a shadow, so it's not a bad deal. This product does not work the way you think it will or how the website claims it will, but I think that's why I like it. The shadows are light and it's a handy palette to have around. I would recommend this but I don't think it's necessary. If you're looking for an easy everyday look or something to keep in your purse, this is a great product. If you're looking for "staple shadows" to add to your collection, I don't think this is what you want.

Other Info:
This doesn't have to do with the quality of the shadows, so I didn't include it above, but the included applicators are not very good. They are tiny and impossible to use, which is typical of brushes that are included with palettes. I recommend using your own eyeshadow brushes with this product.
Bonne Bell Website: http://www.colorandflavorshop.com/
Page for this product: http://www.colorandflavorshop.com/product.php?productid=511219&cat=65&page=1

No comments:

Post a Comment