Monday, February 25, 2013

My First Baked Eyeshadows: Sally Girl Baked Eyeshadows

Some Background:
I was looking for a makeup brush shampoo (I never found one, so if you know of a good one let me know!) and I ran into Sally Beauty Supply. I walked past their Sally Girl makeup display and saw that most of the products are a dollar! I have never tried baked eyeshadows before so I thought I would pick some up because I've heard so much about them! I went with a light brown, a dark brown, a light silver/white, and a dark silver. My thought process was that I could create a smokey/silver eye look and a neutral/brown look.

The Product:
The Sally Beauty Supply website says these are not only eyeshadows but can be used as liners as well. They can also be used wet or dry. Baked eyeshadows are supposed to be brighter pops of color with great pigmentation. The lighter two shades do not have names listed on the back, but the darker shades do.


(L-R) Light brown shade, Carmel Candy, Light silver/white shade, Silver Frost

How It's Supposed to Work:
Like I said above, baked eyeshadows are typically very pigmented. They can be used dry like regular eyeshadow or wet to get a little more color. All of these colors have a little glitter or sparkle to them as well.

How It Really Works:
I was not happy with these at all. I love the two darker colors because they are very pigmented and feel silky smooth. The lighter shades, however, have very little color, wet or dry! I could get some pigmentation when I swatched it with my fingers but hardly any color goes onto the lid! This kinda ruins my plan to do two different looks....I'm not sure if the darker shades are just more pigmented or what. The lighter shades feel extremely dry, almost like styrofoam, even when wet. The darker shades don't feel wet, but they are not dried out and hard as bricks! The fact that you can't get any color from the lighter shades leads me to believe that they won't make good eyeliners. I can see it happening with the darker shades, but even that might take some work. Also there was almost no difference between using the shadows wet versus dry.


Swatched with flash on. (L-R) Light brown shade, Carmel Candy, Light silver/white shade, Silver Frost

The Bottom Line--Price:
These were only $1 each, but I still expect some color payoff. I like the two darker shades and I will definitely use them, but I don't think I will be repurchasing these or other colors anytime soon! This product is really a hit or miss and you can't swatch them in the store. If you happen to find a color you're just in love with, get it, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend these. I don't know if it was just the particular colors I picked up that were dried out so maybe look into them a little more if this is a product you're interested in or want to purchase. At least keep your receipt so that you can try to trade it if it doesn't work.

Other Info:
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MissMalzie?feature=mhee
Sally Beauty Supply Website: http://www.sallybeauty.com/
Page for this product: http://www.sallybeauty.com/baked-eye-shadow/SALGRL19,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

No comments:

Post a Comment