Thursday, February 21, 2013

NYC Single Eyeshadows! Love these!

Basic Instinct (Left) and Luxury Reborn (Right) from NYC
Some Background:
NYC (stands for New York Color) Cosmetics are available in most drugstores (Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc.) and usually run from $1-$8, about the same as e.l.f. and Wet'N'Wild products. I've always used their eyeliner pencils and I get great results with those so I thought I'd give their eyeshadows a try! I bought "Luxury Reborn" which is a rich, chocolate brown and "Basic Instinct" which is a white shade with brown undertones.

The Product:
I believe these are officially called "City Mono Eyeshadows." For some reason they are very hard to find online, but I'll post the link I found below (I think it's from the UK....) and you can check out the colors. There are several colors in store but the only ones listed online are very neutral shades with one vibrant purple. 
Basic Instinct (Left) and Luxury Reborn (Right) from NYC

How It's Supposed to Work:
It's an eyeshadow---I don't know how much I need to say here. Their website says they are "silky, long-lasting, ultra-vibrant shades stay flawless for hours and hours." I translate this to mean they are smooth instead of chalky, highly pigmented with great staying power.

How It Really Works:
I was pleasantly surprised with these! I don't think I was expecting them to be awful but they are way better than my expectations. They really are silky smooth and not chalky at all. They go on nicely and have great pigmentation! Obviously applying them over an eye primer will increase the color even more, but they are pretty good on their own too. The colors I bought have a light shimmer, but not crazy glitter. It gives your eyeshadow a sparkle without having chunks of glitter so they work great for everyday looks. I use mine for my everyday neutral look and I find that they last me the whole day! When I use a good eye primer they don't crease and these have little to no fallout!
Swatches without flash. Basic Instinct (Bottom) and Luxury Reborn (Top)
Swatches with flash. Basic Instinct (Bottom) and Luxury Reborn (Top)

The Bottom Line--Price:
These run for about $2 to $3! Also, NYC goes on sale from time to time so you may be able to find them even cheaper! You get 2.2g of product which is a pretty large amount. The shadows have great pigmentation and stay on all day. On the info bar of my YouTube review (linked below) I compare it to getting only 1.5g of eyeshadow for $15 from MAC. I only bought two, but I'm seriously considering going back for more! It's a great deal on a wonderful product!

Other Info:
Let me know which colors you've used and what you thought of these eyeshadows!
My YouTube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpH_wvGyqQ
NYC Website: http://newyorkcolor.com/
Page for this product (which is strangely European....): http://newyorkcolor.com/en-GB/products/eyes/eyeshadow/city-mono-eye-shadows

1 comment:

  1. I love basic for my goto highlighter. Best few dollars ever spent.

    ReplyDelete